Ralph S. Man and Julian Feild arrived around 1856 and built a grist mill at the crossroads that was to become the center of Mansfield.
Man and Feild completed their three-story brick grist mill sometime between 1856 and 1859. The prospering community which had grown up around the Man and Feild mill took on the name of "Mansfeild", a combination of the names of the founders. Repeated misspellings over the years resulted in the acceptance of the conventional spelling of "Mansfield."
Today, the community of Mansfield prospers more than ever!
Because of the historical significance of the Mill in the town of mansfield and the history of North East Texas the Grist mill restaurant strives to honor that history as well as create a place of community for the people of Mansfield. The Restaurant resembles the original structure of the mill and should give the same type of authentic and rustic feel as the original would have.